Need a good digital marketing company? This article provides a guide on how to identify digital marketing companies that are a good fit for your business. Without some level of discernment, you’ll choose a digital marketing agency based on the best (well-rehearsed) sales presentation. Don’t waste your time and money, read this article!
Success in business today is often heavily influenced by online visibility. Finding the right digital marketing company can be a game-changer for type of business. Is your business a startup looking to establish your brand or an established company aiming to expand your digital footprint? Either way, partnering with a competent digital marketing agency can be the ticket to creating and maintaining a competitive online presence.
What You Need to Know First
Every digital marketing company you call will almost certainly be quick to tell you they can do anything you need. But can they really do it? Can they get more leads or drive sales for your business? Do they have the legitimate backgound and experience to truly do a good job?
A recent article on this topic, published by by Nix United, stated; "Most digital marketing agencies that provide comprehensive services, at first glance, look very attractive in the eyes of potential customers. However, as a rule, only large companies with impressive authority can gather really cool diversified experts into a single team. If the digital agency you have chosen is young enough and at the same time promises a full package of marketing (or not only marketing) services, there is a possibility that it outsources specialists and it might not be clear if their work is of good quality or if they will be able to complete their work on time."1. Pretty confusing, right? So, how do you find the best quality work for your budget? Thta’s what this article discusses.
First, you need an agency that is on par with your company. This means is you’re a small business you can’t afford the mega-agency serving Fortune 100 companies … and do not need to do so. But, you also do not want to hire a one-person shop with minimal time or resources. Find a competent company that has been around for at least a decade, and that works with businesses that are similar to yours.
Working with a competitor? If they should happen to work with a competitor, don’t necessarily be afraid. They already have an understanding of your industry and competiton. Conflict of interest? Not really, there’s going to be competition on every Google page whether or not you work together. There’s a lot to consider when you’re seeking a good internet marketing company.
In a 2022 article, The Digital Marketing Institute has this to say, "Digital marketing agencies undertake the responsibility of the digital brand image of the company and help you to become more visible and reliable online. It is, however, important to know which agencies are suitable for your needs. Since every digital agency has its own field of specialization, you need to be able to decide which one works towards your demands."2
Before we get to the positive side of this article, let’s explore the common bad of companies who became frustrated with poor performance from hiring the wrong digital marketing agency.
They were impressed by the wrong things. Expensive offices and high overhead mean higher prices, not necessarily better services. “They have over 50 employees!” sounds powerful but the truth is you’ll probably work with only a few of them. Or you may work with quite a few, but none will ever develop a good understanding of your business. You’ll get better service with an agency that delivers a personalized experience and has a practical, pragmatic mindset.
The sales pitch got to them. Companies create sales presentations that most anyone can be trained to deliver . . . even if they don’t really understand (your) business. The client never paid attention to how little the sales rep asked about their business, competition and industry. They were there to get just enough info to sell. The result, they turn in a signed contract and a few notes. The client is then headed into low-quality generic marketing.
They trusted their success to the inexperienced. So, they hired a new digital marketing company, and were given the name of the person who would handle their account. You know, the person who largely determines the success of the marketing efforts. They never asked about their business knowledge or level of client-side experience? They never asked if they had managed a business or a marketing department. The client put their business success in the hands of unqualified people.
They were never given the big picture. They were given an "impressive list of items" that the agency will manage for you. Usually this list includes a LOT of simple thngs that can typically be done once, and never or rarely need to be changed. Some things lacked critical definition or clarification, For example, "writing a monthly blog article" or "managing PPC advertising". What does that really mean? The blog article can be a legthy discussion. In the end, the agency did enough to "check-off each item every month as done", but the work done was nearly worthless.
They went cheap and lost sight of value. In these situations, the "marketing company" sold clients who focus on a price point (i.e., $299 month, etc.). They completely ignored the fact that you cannot pay and agency (or person) such a ridiculously low monthly fee and get the work your business needs. Often, these clients will repeat this over and over.
If You’re Serious About Finding a Good Digital Marketing Agency
Here is our roadmap to help you navigate the journey of finding the ideal digital marketing company.
1. Define Your Goals and Needs: Before diving into the search, outline your objectives. Determine what aspects of digital marketing are crucial for your business—whether it’s SEO, content marketing, social media management, PPC advertising, or a combination of these. Understanding your needs will guide your search and help you find a company aligned with your goals.
2. Research and Shortlist: Start your quest by researching potential digital marketing agencies. Look for companies with proven track records, diverse portfolios, and positive client testimonials. Create a shortlist of agencies that resonate with your goals and values.Never forget that people can put anything on their website, including "awards and certifications" they acquired as part buying advertising or joining a group.
3. Assess Expertise and Experience: Evaluate the expertise and experience of the shortlisted agencies. A good digital marketing company should possess a skilled team proficient in various digital marketing disciplines. Check if they have experience in your industry, as this can bring valuable insights into your specific market.
4. Transparency and Communication: Transparency is vital in any partnership. Look for agencies that prioritize clear communication and transparency in their processes, reporting, and pricing structures. A good agency will keep you informed about strategies, results, and changes being made to your campaigns.
5. Analyze Their Strategies: Request a detailed overview of their strategies. A competent agency will present a customized plan tailored to your business goals. Assess their approach, tools, and methodologies to ensure they align with your objectives and resonate with your brand identity.
6. Budget Considerations: While cost is a factor, prioritize value over the lowest price. A high-quality digital marketing agency might require a substantial investment, but the returns in terms of ROI and growth can outweigh the initial cost. Ensure the services offered fit within your budget and provide a clear understanding of what you’re paying for.
7. Client References and Case Studies: Request client references or case studies to gauge the agency’s success stories. Speaking with previous or current clients can provide insights into the agency’s strengths, communication style, and ability to deliver results.
8. Flexibility and Adaptability: The digital landscape is ever-evolving. Look for agencies that demonstrate adaptability and flexibility in their strategies. They should be proactive in adapting to changes and leveraging new technologies to keep your campaigns effective and up-to-date.
9. Trust Your Instincts: Lastly, trust your instincts (not a good sales pitch!). A good fit between your company and the digital marketing agency is crucial. Consider the rapport, professionalism, and spirit demonstrated during your conversations and meetings.
Finding the best digital marketing company (for your needs) is a pivotal decision for your business’s online success. By following these steps you’ll be empowered to identify a company that aligns with your vision. Teaming up with an agency guided by morals and integrity can enable you to achieve your digital marketing goals.
CREDITS and FOOTNOTES
- 1 Yuliia Semerenko, "How to Choose a Digital Marketing Agency", September 27, 2023, Available from Nix-United
- 2 DAN Institute, "How to Choose a Digital Marketing Agency", May 10, 2022, Available from Digital Marketing Institute
- Photo by Fauxels, available at PHOTO Pexels